Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of Class...

Today was my first day of class back at the U of M to start my Masters (and hopefully continue on with my Doctorate) Degree.

One class today.. Another new one tomorrow.

Only one difficulty with the class. I came in and sat down - pretty much in the very middle of the herd of desks, so as to seem neither too eager nor too cloaked. Immediately, a swarm of very good-looking guys rustled in and proceeded to arrange themselves tightly around me, as if I were the 5 in a key pad, and they the remaining numbers. With that, I new my concentration on matters serious and pertinent to my education - at least for this class - would be strenuously challenged, if not DOOMED.

Linguistics guys aren't supposed to be cute?! WTF!

[I yoinked the above passage from an email I sent earlier today. I thought it was so descriptive that I just had to post it here too.]

5 comments:

Máire said...

Hey, I know you probably consider this an old post, but I just realized that I was semi-subconsciously pondering a question.

Was DGS talking about all graduate programs or just giving examples for the PhD when she was talking about taking exams or getting published or what-all to complete the requirements? Damn this lack of a program handbook! I don't know that I'd have enrolled if I knew that after traversing the Alps I'd have to go scale K2. Or at least I'd have paid closer attention in mountaineering class.

I suppose I could go look this info up for myself....

Wes said...

No no. It's not that old a post. Commenting on older posts is greatly welcomed.

I think it has to do with whether your doing a plan A or plan B as well. And I'm pretty sure it's standard for Phd's to need a published or near-publishable quality thingy to get their magic piece of parchment.

Máire said...

Oh, but dontcha know, nobody does a Plan A. At least not for the MA.

Our Advisor: So you'll check this box to indicate you're doing Plan B --
Me: I'm doing Plan B?
OA: Yep!
Me: What's Plan A?
OA: Oh, it's this thing with a thesis (srl. srl.).
Me: But I should do Plan B?
OA: Oh, absolutely.
Me: So what about Plan A?
OA: Well, nobody does Plan A.
Me: Could I do Plan A if I wanted to?
OA: Well, not really.
Me: So it's not actually an option.
OA: Yeah. It's weird.

Brain said...

whaaa?
what class is this? I like to look at pretty things! Plus, I wouldn't have to worry about the distraction of trying to retain something for later examination!

Wes said...

I'd love to retain one of those guys for later examination.